MHS NEWS - October 9, 2015
Updates For all MHS Parents/Guardians
Last week, “Mustang Nation” celebrated our homecoming week... It was a fine week of friendly banter and competition featuring dress up days, a coin drive, hallway decorating, and a fun pep rally full of games. After tabulating all of the points, the Seniors won homecoming week with a grand total of 980 points out of a possible 1000. The Freshmen came in second place with 965 points, followed by the Sophomores with 890 points, and the Juniors with 850. Thanks go to each class and and for all of our participants positive efforts!
**Progress Reports will be delayed another week while final adjustments are made with both course learning targets and the new progress report for Empower. They will now go out on Friday 10/23/15.
Project Graduation says many people ask how they can be more involved in the school as their kids get into high school. Here is one way to get involved... And it's fun, as well as rewarding! We are looking for 2-3 adults to represent each high school class in Project Graduation. When people hear "Project Grad", they think it does not apply to them if they do not have a senior student. That is a huge misunderstanding! Knowing the procedures and getting familiar with the actual "night of" festivities along with helping out before your child graduates are some of the keys. It is beneficial to be part of the group well in advance of senior year as some of the planning begins at least a year in advance. If you are a parent of an underclassman and want to know how you can become involved without a major commitment... Please reach out to us! We would love to have you on our planning committee!
Our next meeting is October 15th at 6:00 PM in the library.
MHS attempts to be "allergy safe" as much as possible for students who need to avoid exposure to nuts and other allergens. Allergy free is not possible as it is impossible to monitor all foods brought into MHS. As a reminder please remind your sons/daughters to not bring nut containing foods into our classrooms if at all possible. Thank you very much!
School Bus Safety week is Oct 19-23, 2015. There will be scheduled evacuation drills on all busses during that week and we thank our students for their support with these drills. Friday October 23rd is Driver Appreciation Day and so we want to thank our drivers in advance for their positive efforts with these tough jobs!
We have had many changes with positions here at MHS - and those changes have not yet caught up with our phone system. We are working to correct these issues as soon as possible. Thank you in advance for your patience!
The deadline for submitting completed National Honor Society application packets To the NHS Advisor, Ms. Dorothy Haws, is Friday, October 23 by 2:00 p.m. Late or Incomplete packets will immediately disqualify NHS candidates for consideration as a member of NHS.
Senior Yearbook info - Including order forms, Senior write-up info, picture due dates, and Recognition Ad forms can be found on the yearbook website: https://sites.google.com/a/rsu57.org/massabesic-yearbook
Class of 2017
The PSAT is coming and we want to be sure our Juniors are ready! The test will take place on the morning of Wednesday October 14th from 7:30-10:40 in the East Gym. The Makeup date is Wed. Oct. 28th.
Class of 2019
Act/Aspire: This assessment is given to determine benchmarks for Freshman Year college readiness in Core subjects. The subjects tested are English, Reading, Writing, Math and Science. Testing will take place on Wednesday, October 14th.
Have you done some amazing and impactful community service? If so, this is your time to shine by applying for the Prudential Spirit of Community Award! The purpose of this award is to "recognize students who have made meaningful contributions to their communities through volunteer service". These Awards are presented at the local, state and national levels. Ten of Maine's State Honorees were named America's top 10 youth volunteers of the year at a special ceremony in Washington D.C. For more information, see the attached flyer and/or go to http://spirit.prudential.com or www.nassp.org/spirit. APPLICATIONS ARE DUE BY NOVEMBER 3, 2015.
Culture Club is selling pies as a fundraiser. There are a variety of flavors at a great price, perfect for Thanksgiving. Thanking you in advance for supporting our club as these funds will be going towards trips such as New York CIty and other adventures. Culture Club will also be hosting the annual Halloween Dance on Friday, October 31st from 7-10pm. For more information contact Mrs. Chamoff or any club member.
Students in Mrs. Stephenson and Ms. Karlis American Literature classes went to Salem, Massachusetts on Monday, October 5th. They visited museums and burial sites, saw a reenactment of the Salem Witch Trials, got spooked in a Haunted House and went on a scavenger hunt throughout the town finding historical landmarks and buildings. Our students were VERY well behaved and are to be thanked for representing Massabesic High School with pride and class!
Seniors in World Literature are learning about Greek Mythology and have done an amazing job creating new myths based on the gods, goddesses, heroes and monsters they've read about.
In Freshmen English students are researching the Great Depression as a lead-in before reading “Of Mice and Men.”
Last weekend, October 2 thru 4, twenty-one Massabesic NJROTC first year cadets and six Naval Science senior cadets participated in a basic leadership training hosted by Manchester West High School in New Hampshire. All of our cadets were successful in completing the training and were advanced to the rank of seaman apprentice. Honor cadet recognition went to: Aliscea Roy, Maxwell Sweeney and Sarah Doyle.
This Saturday, October 10th, the cadets will march in the Grand Parade at the Fryeburg Fair. On Wednesday, October 14th, NJROTC will provide a color guard for the girls field hockey home game, in honor of the team's seniors. On Saturday, October 17th, NJROTC special teams will host the first drill meet of the season for the Greater New England all Navy Drill League at MHS beginning at 9am. Our Mustang Cadets will participate in the West Gym against teams from Massachusetts and New Hampshire. To assist the local food pantry, cadets are sponsoring a canned food drive at our meet.
Athletic News & Events
- Our online registration window opens on October 12th for winter sports sign ups and closes on Nov 9th. All students interested in participating in a winter sport at MHS or MMS will need to go to rsu57.revtrak.net to register.
- The “Winter Meet the Coaches” meeting will be at 6pm on November 10th in the MHS Gym. All parents and guardians of athletes registered to play a winter sport are expected to attend. There will be a brief introduction from Mr. Brenden Scully our Activities Director, then all teams and their parents or guardians will have the opportunity to meet their coach, receive schedule/tryout information along with other important messages. All those trying out for winter sports should attend.
- Is your son/daughter’s physical exam less than 2 years old for clearance to participate in sports? If not, please schedule them for a sports physical ASAP and send in the physician signed report to our school nurse. It should have the date of the exam and a written notation “cleared to participate in sports” or define any limitations. Asthma Plans also need to be updated each school year, and can be done at the time of the physical. If you do not know if the physical on file is up to date, have your athlete check with our school nurse, Nancy Sobanik or email email@example.com with any questions or concerns. Thanks very much!
Sports Schedule this coming week
1. MHS Boys JV and Varsity Soccer vs. South Portland Senior Night JV 4pm / Varsity 6pm
2. Volleyball @ Thornton Academy 4pm
3. MMS Field Hockey 3:30pm
1. MHS JV nad Varsity Girls Soccer @ South Portland 4pm JV / 6pm V
2. MHS Field Hockey vs. South Portland Senior Night 5:30 JV / 7pm V
3. MHS Volleyball @ Deering 4pm
4. MMS Cross Country @ Kennebunk 3:30pm
1. First Team Football Home vs Deering 4pm
2. MHS Varsity and JV Soccer @ Scarborough JV 4:30 / V 6:30pm
3. MHS Cross Country @ Noble 4pm
4. MMS Field Hockey @ Marshwood 3:30pm
1. MHS Girls JV and Varsity Soccer vs. Scarborough JV 4pm / V 6pm
2. Varsity Football @ Lewiston 7pm
Saturday 10/171. First Team Boys Soccer vs. South Portland