To Incoming 9th Grade Parents/Guardians:
This week your son/daughter took the ACT Explore Test. This is the 2nd year we have had incoming 9th graders take this assessment. The ACT Explore Test is an achievement test with excellent reliability and validity, so its results will give us important information on how your son or daughter is progressing on national and state standards. We have also made use of this assessment a priority, as it will also give us important information on the progress our students are making in regards to proficiency on Learning Targets and with Performance Based Instruction in RSU 57.
The four assessments and Career Section within the ACT Explore give us the following:
- National comparable results with peers in math, science, English and Reading
- The ability to compare student results to the NWEA
- To see how our student’s mastery of our present Learning Targets supports them versus national standards
- To see which students must have academic interventions this fall
- The ability to examine trends based on student results/data and better plan for student needs systemically and for the long-term at MHS
- The ability to link 8th grade career aspirations to high school career development activities in Advisory.
- Suggestions for improvement in each area tested are provided to aid 9th grade teachers in designing their instructional practices
- Is one early indicator to what degree students are on track to enter their 1st year of college based on ACT provided College Readiness standards.
Dr. Urbach (MHS Director of Guidance) and I along with
other members of the MHS Staff will be getting a jump on using this data this
summer so as to better support your son/daughter this fall. We will be sending individual results
home to each family this July.
Very truly yours,
Christian M. Elkington