Dear Parents, Guardians and Students:
It is my hope that this letter finds you in good spirits as we move into the last four weeks of our school year. Much of this letter will share accomplishments that many of our students have been involved with. We have much to be proud of “Mustang Nation!”
5-18-12 Progress Reports handed out in Advisory
5-22-12 District Budget Meeting 7:00 PM at Massabesic Middle School
5-23-12 Memorial Day Assembly 12:30 PM
5-24-12 SRTC Graduation 6:30 PM & Junior SAT Compensation Day
5-25-12 Staff Workshop Day no school
5-28-12 Memorial Day no school
5-31-12 Senior Finals
6-01-12 Senior Finals & NJROTC Awards Night 6:30 PM
6-04-12 Senior Trip
6-06-12 Senior Awards Night 6:00 PM
6-07-12 Graduation at Cumberland County Civic Center 7:00 PM
6-11-12 Underclassmen Awards Night 6:00 PM
6-12 – 6-14-12 Final Exams w/6-14-12 as last school day
BOTH Massabesic High School
Odyssey of the Mind Teams - Won at the State Tournament to earn the right to advance to the
World Finals! Please join me in applauding the following team members for their
Earning Class A, State Wrestling Championships – For MHS are Ethan Gilman (his 3rd in a row) and Josh Andrews! Great job gentleman!
SMAA All - Academic Winter Team Members – From MHS include the following:
- Basketball - Monica St Amand, Jolena Lampron, Stephanie Guay, Alexandria Braley Holly Ledoux, Morgan Reny, Emily Schatz, Erica Guimond, Dakotah Thornton, Audrey Hoyle, Ali Lamb, Ryan Dodge, Matthew Bullard, Casey Nava & Samuel Chaves!
- Cheerleading - Melissa Vigue & Tricia Lepage!
- Ice Hockey - Nicholas Vigue & Mark Gillis!
- Indoor Track - Kaitlyn Aboud, Kathleen Duffy, Kati Duncan, Samantha Emmons, Emily Foglio, Mikayla Frazier, Alyssa Gilman, Margorie Lee, Sarah Redman, Madeline Sanborn, Keara White, Rayne Whitten, Seamus Lynch & Ben Polcaro!
- Swimming - Abbey Auger, Lindsay Decker, Sarah Evans, Shantel Giguere, Kaylond Mauzerolle, Haley Monroe, Carolin Ernst, Ryan Audy, Lucas Bolender, Samuel LaRiviere, Tyler Wright, Nicholas Evans, Samuel Johnston & Leighton Phinney!
- Wrestling - Nicholas Staples!
Your hard work both in the classroom and representing MHS in athletic events is VERY much appreciated!
Odyssey of the Mind Fundraisers on May 19th:
- Pancake Breakfast at Waterboro Elementary School, 8:00 to 10:00 AM
- Annual Murder Mystery Dinner Theater at the Massabesic Middle School Cafe. This audience participation show is presented by the Sanford Maine Players. Tickets are $15.00 and $12.00 for kids under 12 and senior citizens, 5:45 PM.
LIONS Club – Comes to an MHS student’s assistance by purchasing an iPad for a student to use at home and school. It is wonderful to know how our community supports our students!
“Mustang Nation” has MUCH to be PROUD of! – Please join me in celebrating the following accomplishments:
Jazmyn Ireland – Was selected for the NJROTC summer seminar at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University! 200 cadets were selected for this honor out of the 84,000 cadets across our country! Academic and leadership skills earned Jazmyn this honor! Wow!
MHS excels in Augusta! – Two of our students Shayna Davis (1st Place) and Brian Wardwell (2nd Place), represented MHS on National History Day in Agusta. Super job!
Savanna Arral – Earned a United States JCI Senate Foundation Scholarship for 2012!
MHS Drama Team – Collects 2nd Place at Marshwood Drama Competition!
MHS Wrestling Team – Places 2nd at Class A, State Wrestling Championships!
The respect, class and dignity – Shown by MHS students at or on a number of events including, but not limited to: A multitude of college visits, three assemblies (“Can-do Attitude,” “Taking Responsibility,” Spring Rally) and at several athletic events!
Ian Wyman (defense) and A.J. Gass (forward) – Received ALL-STATE 2nd Team Awards in hockey with Chris Pierce (defense) earning Honorable Mention!
LIONS Club Speak Out Contest finalists – Mariah Arral, Olivia Bradley, Sequoia Booth, Matt Gile, Jazmyn Ireland, August Mendoza, Scott O'Brien and Shawna Alexander!
MHS students represent – Sanford Regional Technical Center at Skills USA Competition in Bangor, Maine. MHS students joined students from all 27 technical centers in Maine. Individual award winners from MHS are as follows: Silver Medalist Jessica Bennett (Medical Math), Bronze Medalists Marie Harrington (Medical Terminology), Brady Goodwin (Technical Drafting) and Kyle Lessard (Video Product Development). Great job!
Project Graduation - For the first time is being completely run by parents and guardians at MHS. Special thanks, goes to each and every member of this group for the time and energy you have given! The contacts you have made, plans you have completed along with your involvement sets’ us up well, both now and in the future! On behalf of the Class of 2012 we thank you!
Sorry to have to share – That some of our parents and guardians are not acting with the same class and respect that we are seeing on a daily basis from our student-athletes this spring. Acting with class and respect is the expectation for ALL who represent Massabesic High School! We know it can sometimes be difficult to hold one’s emotions when your son or daughter is in an activity. Our expectation is not that everyone has to be perfect, but that if you make a mistake or are asked to correct your behavior you do so immediately!
In my three years as Principal of Massabesic High School, time and time again I have received compliments about how our students have acted on trips, at events and in competitions. Class, respect and dignity are what we expect and what we usually witness! Most of the time I have also seen a majority of our parents and guardians modeling these same behaviors. We need this expectation to return immediately! I need to make clear that:
- Any individual who yells at one of our student-athletes and/or those of a school we are playing will be immediately ejected from the event!
- Any individual directing inappropriate or excessive comments towards officials may be subject to removal from the event.
- If you give MHS School Officials a difficult time when asked to clean up your emotions and behavior you WILL be asked to leave the event (either home or away), immediately!
- If after being asked to clean up your emotions and behavior you continue with inappropriate comments or behaviors you will be asked to leave immediately!
Our kids, staff and a large majority of our parents and guardians work too hard to have issues such as these bring our positive efforts down a notch!
Portland Sea Dogs Most Improved MHS Students – As nominated by our teaching staff are as follows: Michael Aboud, Angela Alcock, Allen Anderson, Mariah Arral, Amanda Athearn, David Avanzato, Kelvin Bailey, Elijah Barker, Ryan Bean, Kristen Berard, Audrey Bergeron, Phillip Blake, Chadd Boonen, Austin Brown, Kyle Burgess, Dustin Burnham, Britany Chamberlain, Brianna Chamberlain, Dana Connolly, Robert Dermody, Lucas Dion, Elisha Dubowik, Ryan Durkan, Zach Furlong, Christie Graffam Elijiah Greenleaf, Haley Gregoire, Chloe Gurney-Smith, Benjamin Hamilton, Ian Hopkins, Matt Hunt, Audreyanna Kimball, Matthew Kramer, Lindsey Maguire, Kyle McGarey, Jordan Meserve, Corey Mongiat, Taylor Morin, Jacob Oxton, Zachary Peters, Brittany Plante, John Potvin, Forest Ravensky, Hunter Rideout, aAron Sabine, Kimberly Saltmarsh, Joseph Semo, Shawn Staples, Lauren Stetson, Kally Wayne, Jason Winsor. Congratulations to you all!
Sports physicals - Are scheduled for June 13, from 4:30 - 7:15 PM. Parents must call the Middle School Nurse to schedule a time/get details at 247-6121 ext 4005. Walk-ins will NOT be taken.
Please join me in congratulating – Our Honor Roll Students on the back page of this letter for their outstanding academic achievements during our Winter Trimester!
Thanks for reading this letter “Mustang Nation!”
Very truly yours,
Christian M. Elkington, Principal