May 15, 2012
Dear Parents and Guardians of the Class of 2012:
It is my pleasure to be sharing with you some final details as we head down the stretch towards Graduation for the Class of 2012. I know this is a busy time for all of you and want to make sure that we review a few important points along with important dates.
As we approach graduation, the one thing we need to make sure is that each and every student who has it within his or her grasp to graduate does graduate! This means that a student whose grades are on the edge and needs each course they are enrolled in to graduate:
- Completes everything he or she needs for each class!
- Doesn’t assume they can skip completing an assignment or assessment because their average appears high enough to them!
- Goes in for the extra help they need!
- Demonstrates outstanding attendance down the stretch!
- Stays after school for any and ALL assistance needed!
- Is honest and upfront with both their parents/guardians and MHS staff on what they need to finish or have finished!
It also means that those students in outstanding shape academically and credit-wise need to:
- Finish what they set out to accomplish!
- Show how they can finish strong!
- Not forget that their final transcript may determine some of the financial support they will receive!
- Not forget that their final trimester may determine some of the courses they will take their freshman year of college!
By working together we will make sure that each and every member of the Class of 2012 receives the diploma they have earned on June 7th!
- Finals will be on:
o Thursday, May 31, 2011: Exams during Activity Block, and block 4 & 5 classes
o Friday, June 1, 2011: Exams during blocks 1, 2, & 3
- Some teachers my need additional time for exams, beyond our 55 minute blocks and so may decide to use class time on Wednesday, May 30 to begin
- Seniors are expected to attend all classes on 5/31
- Seniors will be expected to attend exams on 6/1
- Seniors will also be expected to attend Advisory on 6/1 and then will leave for the day at 11:14
Returning books - And paying fees or fines is a must if you want your son or daughter to march with their class. If you have any questions about any obligations please contact your son or daughter’s counselor along with our school librarian.
- Senior Trip (6/4, Monday 5:00 AM – 8:00 PM)
- Marching Practice (6/5-6/6, Tuesday/Wednesday 8:00-1:00 PM) MHS Gym
*6/7 Thursday AM if needed
- Senior Night (6/6, Wednesday 6:00 – 10:30pm) Auditorium
- Graduation (6/7, Thursday 7:00 PM) Cumberland County Civic Center
- Project Grad (6/7-6/8 10:15-5:30 AM) Freeport YMCA
Help Prevent Parents and/or Guardians in our Communities from
Making a Big Mistake!
Well-meaning parents and/or guardians may plan to serve alcohol to their high school graduate's underage friends during graduation parties this season. They may think that 'kids will be kids' or 'I'll just take away the car keys'. The tips below can be used to set the community-wide tone that hosting underage drinking parties are unsafe, unhealthy, and unacceptable.
On behalf of the staff of Massabesic High School I want to wish each member of the Class of 2012 an enjoyable and safe completion of their final year at MHS! We wish them all the best and thank them for all of the positive efforts they have demonstrated at MHS!
Very truly yours,
Christian M. Elkington