The RSU 57 School Board approved sending the issue of the
field and athletic facility renovation to voters during the upcoming November
4th election based on the recommendation the Finance Committee. Voters will be
asked to approve a bond of $4.9 million for a project that will cost $6.8
million. The balance will come from
grants, donations and district capital funds.
Public opportunity to vote on this bond item will be
included the general elections set for Tuesday Nov 4, 2014.
**Public Hearing scheduled for Monday, October 20th
at 7pm in the High School Auditorium
This project will
* Creating a Stadium Complex for use by more High
School and Community teams and organizations.
* Resurfacing the track, which is currently
unusable for competition due to deterioration.
This renovation will provide a safe location for athletes to practice and
for community members alike. Massabesic will
also be able to host track meets again including potentially regional and state
* Widening the field surface to accommodate
soccer, field hockey, lacrosse and other field sports, adding greater access to
lighted competition areas. This piece of
the project will include a synthetic surface which will allow many more teams
to have access to the field.
* Installing permanent bleachers to accommodate
spectator seating for all events.
* Leveling other playing fields and practice
fields increasing safety for all using them.
* Upgrading softball and baseball fields to allow
home games (softball) to be home.
* Constructing new tennis courts for High School
competition and public use.
* Adding bathroom facilities, storage facilities
and parking to accommodate the public.
* Constructing a new maintenance facility. The current maintenance space within the High
School building will be converted to a fitness center for students, athletes
and community use.
* Replacing fencing for security purposes and
controlling access more efficiently.
* If approved in November the project will be bid
with the expectation of beginning construction in the spring of 2015. Local contractors and businesses will be
encouraged to bid on this project or participate however possible.